Thursday, September 3, 2009

Massive Update

"For anyone who wants to direct but hasn't made a first movie yet, there is no decision to make. Whatever the movie, whatever the problems, if there's a chance to direct, take it! Period. Exclamation point! The first movie is its own justification because it's the first movie." - Sidney Lumet

Thanks for the advice Sidney, I think I'll take it. Its been a while since I've blogged but here's a big update. I'm working on a feature length film "Republic of Pete". I've spent most of the summer working on the script and pre-production for this project. The script is a loose and I mean loose adaptation of another script. So its basically written from scratch based on a great premise I was originally pitched. A grandpa is getting sued so he puts all his money into his grandson's bank account. The grandson Pete and his friends buy an island, then grandpa goes after them.

Nate and I got the offer to do this by Extreme Akim, the television judge of the show "Eye for and Eye". Low and behold I'm directing a film... a low budget wacky comedy about killer lawnmowers, an evil grandpa, and a bunch of kids that buy an island.

Exciting as it may be, its an uphill battle. Shooting on the beach is going to be rough on the photography and sound fronts. Luckily our casting call has yielded some really funny people. We're still in need of our lead actor though, which is slowing things down.

But this gives more time to work on the script. It still has some problems to be worked out, but I think the overall story is there. Its been great getting ideas from a lot of funny people I trust. Writing with the knowledge you have no budget causes you to focus more on characters because there's not much else you can afford. I've written two long form scripts before. You're supposed to burn the first two. Reading up on screenplay theory helped a good deal and I definitely broke through a writing plateau with this script.

I've also been watching a good deal of movies and reading all I can about directing. Comedy is going to be tough for me. Not the making things funny part (hopefully) but the shooting it part. The biggest problem is that the acting is going to be spontaneous as certain points. So scenes have to be shot so that a little improve isn't going to kill the editing continuity. Its not the biggest thing in the world, but shooting scenes with a lot of actors will make this difficult. My goal is to find solid ways of economizing and shooting as confidently as possible... aka not too many setups. This approach seemed to work fine in Last Rites, but that was 2 actors max in each scene. So we'll see. Once we find our Pete, I'll be able to do some minor rehearsals and hopefully work on some of the stagings we'll be using. Now usually, I'd say rehearse the hell out of it. But too much rehearsal is really bad for comedy acting. If we rehearse too much, it will kill the energy.

I'll try to use this blog as a sort of journal of the whole process. There's so much going on its hard to thing what makes for a good post subject.

And finally, my internship at Carolina Studios pushed me back into making music. I set up a myspace band site up to host some tracks here it is: myspace.com/avantgrademusic

2 comments:

A Train To Midnight said...

Good to hear you're working on a project of your own. It sounds pretty interesting. Sounds like you're well read, all you have to do is deliver on the final project bruh.

I'm good. School is what it's gonna be, you know. I do like the digital filmmaking program though. We got our own Canon HD camera's (which I used to shoot the film you read about on my blog).

We should catch up sometime man. It'll have to be later this month/early next month though. As you can see, we both have our hands full presently, but we'll catch up soon man.

C H A N Z said...

hey man...
one of the extra on the "ROP" i was just hoping how to get in touch with you, to get info and updates of the movie.
i was thinking if you guys have a facebook fan page account to gather all fans and maybe casts?
thanks...